What is Social Distancing?
Social distancing is a non-pharmaceutical infection prevention and control intervention implemented to avoid/decrease contact between those who are infected with a disease causing pathogen and those who are not, so as to stop or slow down the rate and extent of disease transmission in a community. This eventually leads to decrease in spread, morbidity and mortality due to the disease.
In public health, social distancing, also called physical distancing, is a set of non-pharmaceutical interventions or measures intended to prevent the spread of a contagious disease by maintaining a physical distance between people and reducing the number of times people come into close contact with each other. It typically involves keeping a certain distance from others (the distance specified may differ from time to time and country to country) and avoiding gathering together in large groups. By reducing the probability that a given uninfected person will come into physical contact with an infected person, the disease transmission can be suppressed, resulting in fewer deaths. The measures are used in combination with good respiratory hygiene and hand washing by a population. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggested favouring the term “physical distancing” as opposed to “social distancing”, in keeping with the fact that it is a physical distance which prevents transmission; people can remain socially connected via technology. To slow down the spread of infectious diseases and avoid overburdening healthcare systems, particularly during a pandemic, several social-distancing measures are used, including the closing of schools and workplaces, isolation, quarantine, restricting the movement of people and the cancellation of mass gatherings
Social distancing is maintained to stop the spread of virus and infections. You should avoid close contact with anyone you do not live with. That is called social distancing. It means avoiding crowded, public places where close contact with others is likely. It leads to cancelling events and gathering of more than 10 people and closing shops, restaurants and bars. It is essential way to slow down the spread of virus among each other. It is important that you follow social distancing recommendations in your community, weather you’re in one of the high-risk group or not.
Why Social Distancing is important?
Social distancing is important because:
- It helps slow down the spread of the virus from asymptomatic people and people who do not known that they have contracted it.
- It is the only way to break chain of contagion
- It protects you from getting the virus and becoming sick. The impact of social distancing is greater than personal safety alone. It protects your loved ones.
- It is a proven means of reducing deaths in a pandemic
- It reduces the basic reproduction number, known as the “R naught”. The R naught represents the average number of people who can be infected by one person, and it can increase and decrease depending on the rate of spread.
- If everyone does their part and practices social (physical) distancing to slow the rate of COVID-19 spread, it will give hospitals a fighting chance to continue to have room, necessary supplies and health care providers for all patients who need care.
Social distancing measures are taken to restrict when and where people can gather to stop or slow the spread of infectious diseases. Social distancing measures include limiting large groups of people coming together, closing buildings and cancelling events. Social distancing measures are most often thought about as a way to slow the spread of pandemic influenza.
Some social distancing measures that would be conducted during a pandemic include:
- Public and private colleges suspending classes, going to Web-based learning and cancelling all large campus meetings and gatherings.
- Public and private libraries modifying their operations and restricting people from gathering by allowing people to come in only to pick up materials that have been reserved or requested on-line or by telephone.
- Business changing company practices, setting up flexible shift plans, having employees telecommute and canceling any large meetings or
- Closing all public and private K-12 schools and facilities, closing all childcare centers, community centers, malls and theaters, as well as suspending services at all houses of worship.
- During a pandemic all indoor and outdoor events that attract large crowds would be cancelled. These events include sports events, concerts, parades and festivals.
- Mass transit systems may also be temporarily closed or be used only for essential travel.
Since a pandemic cannot be stopped once it has started, and because health experts do not know how much warning there will be, once pandemic influenza is found in our area, social distancing measures will be used early on to slow the spread of the disease and provide our community with the valuable time needed to be better prepared.
Public health officials have called on people to stay six feet apart to slow the spread of coronavirus through so-called respiratory droplets. Six feet (or two meters) has become the mantra. The World Health Organization and other experts have said SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spread mainly by large droplets sprayed when people cough or sneeze, contaminating surfaces. So that degree of separation, combined with frequent hand-washing, was thought to be enough to halt or at least slow the spread of the virus.
But new evidence suggests six feet of distance may not be enough.
Researchers found that in dry and hot weather, the droplets convert into aerosols which can transmit the infection to a longer distance. In such weather, the infectious aerosols of size as small as particulate matter 2.5 (which is smaller than 2.5 micrometres) can infiltrate deep into the lungs. The researchers have found that the novel coronavirus can spread up to three times further in cold and humid weather. As per researchers from the University of California (UC) Santa Barbara in the US, droplets carrying the virus can travel up to 20 feet, making the current social distancing norms insufficient to contain the spread of the virus.
What’s actually safe is unknown. It may depend on many factors, including whether people are inside or outdoors, how loudly people are speaking, whether they are wearing masks, how well-ventilated a room is, and how far the virus can really fly. The experts said that for society to resume as normal, measures must be implemented to reduce aerosol transmission, which includes the universal wearing of masks — in addition to widespread testing. They believe both practices could help identify and isolate those infected asymptomatic individuals.
There are various technology products which are helping people to maintain social distancing of certain distance at work or another place. Such as
- Samsung GreatUP smart watch app
- Proximity trace
- EGOpro Social Distancing
- LASE PeCo
- mContain app
Safepace is great safety technology product of Adstuck which is a digital marketing practice marketing campaign agency working from all over the world with four locations India, Singapore, Estonia and US. Its mission is to provide instant access to a talented workforce to enterprise.
SafeSpace is a unique social distancing tool that can be worn on the wrist or clipped to a belt and provides an intelligent, proactive social distancing solution, that will help us to get ‘boots back on the ground’ whilst keeping the workforce safe. It does this by providing real-time audible, visual and vibrating alerts when a device identifies another within 2 metres of itself.
It is a non-bulky, wearable technology that can last for more than 12 hours on a single charge, and will help to create a culture of spatial awareness and drive positive behavioural change, protecting employees and helping them to follow government protocols. SafeSpace enables contractors to guarantee the safety and welfare of their workforce, while at the same time ramping up delivery to meet the challenging opportunities being presented in highway maintenance and construction.
Safespace is a Safety technology service provider. It is a location safety system for urban transport. It is a safety system that qualifies, secures and monitors travellers for zero contagion during travel and beyond. During a pandemic situation verifying and qualifying passengers, keeping them separate during all time and securing zones for correct occupancy ratio, queue management I is only way to bring back the world order of community and Safespace helps in this process efficiently.
Products of Safespace are:
- Counter system which limit the entry in a space QADAM sensor
- Cono wearable is a system who alerts distance monitors using their quick sensors, smart monitors servers which monitor access and monitors movements
- ML Omnicloud is a core brain which applies all the algorithms and workflows
- Corerock admin platform is the place that add metros, buses, timing and others
- Cono user’s app known as security centre to keep and feel secures and becoming a quick qualified visitors/traveller.
Safespace provides services for standard and customized application and projects. It is a technology which has
- IOE: the core sensors which collect all the data and alerts
- Pervasive computing: Making access, qualifying and sanitization on auto mode
- Integration platform: Add your existing systems in a whisker
- AR & Machine Learning: The augmented systems to model space and collect probabilistic data from visual
- Cloud Backend: All automations can be pushed on the fly from distance
- Emergency Management: A dedicated team to handle emergency.
For more Details:
Contact no:- 919654677057